Holding open casting calls on twitter can be a dangerous proposition. I mean, it is the Internet, people. Some strange folk lurk in cyberspace.
And yet, with all that said, we’re now two-for-two in finding cool peeps to host our Tweeting Brooklyn videos.
Our latest contest winner, Roopa, decided to go in a different direction.
We met Roopa and her husband, Matt, at the trendy Carroll Gardens spot, Buttermilk Channel. Buttermilk Channel has a fantastic (and well-deserved) reputation as one of Brooklyn’s best restaurants, but they also have a nice assortment of signature cocktails and beers on tap.
I ordered what may be my favorite cocktail in all of Brooklyn, the Fair Harbor (which is essentially a Dark & Stormy with a splash of pomegranate juice), while Roopa and Matt ordered … well, honestly, I don’t remember. You see, what I should have been doing is taking notes and all that other crap reporters do. But instead, I was engrossed in conversation with these interesting characters.
What I learned about Roopa (and Matt):
- She’s a vegetarian
- He likes meat (especially the wings at Buffalo Wild Wings; don’t laugh if you’ve never eaten them, they’re really good for a chain)
- She was born in Queens, grew up on Long Island and has lived in Brooklyn most of her adult life
- He grew up in South Florida and has lived in Baltimore most of his adult life
- She’s a Mets fan (yay!)
- He’s a Yankees fan (boo!)
- She has never owned a car
- I’m assuming he has
- They’re newlyweds
- Sixpoint provided them with their own special beer for the wedding
- They don’t like to go into Manhattan on the weekends
And, really, with a relaxed and refined bar like Buttermilk Channel right around the corner, why would they leave Brooklyn on the weekends?
But enough from me. To hear Roopa tell you why she loves Buttermilk Channel, click on the video above. And if you want to learn more about her vegetarian ways, check out her blog, raspberry eggplant.